Applying for approval using the ETIAS is simple, convenient and a significant time saver. The application process involves the following steps:
This online application should only take 20 minutes to complete, without any paperwork. The information required depends on the applicant’s country of citizenship and includes:
- Names: Surname, first name(s), surname at birth, usual name(s), first names of applicant’s parents;
- Date and place of birth, country of birth;
- Gender, nationality;
- Passport/travel document data;
- Address of permanent residence, home address;
- Email address and telephone number;
- Education/current occupation;
- Background/eligibility questions: medical conditions/infectious or contagious parasitic diseases; criminal records; travel to war-zone countries, immigration or travel history which resulted in the applicant being deported or rejected entry into an EU member country;
- Member State of intended first entry;
- Where applicable, information on other nationalities or citizenships;
- Where the applicant is a minor, the identity of the person responsible for the minor;
- Where applicable, if a submission is made on behalf of the applicant, the identity of the person and company represented;
- For family members to EU citizens/3rd country nationals benefitting from free movement without residence cards: their status as family member; identity particulars of the applicable family member; relevant family ties.
The completed application and fee payable is submitted which automatically activates the ETIAS Visa to check:
- the accuracy of the data provided
- the applicant’s eligibility
- applicant’s risk factors
Applications that are completed correctly by eligible applicants should be approved within minutes. Should ETIAS encounter a hit, the application will be processed manually, which should take approximately 96 hours or 4 days, but may take as long as two weeks.
Eligibility requires the applicant to hold a passport from an ETIAS eligible country, the list of which is continuously updated:
Special Administrative Regions of the People’s Republic of China:
Entities and territorial authorities not recognised as States by at least one Member State:
The following are required when applying:
- Valid Passport
- Machine Readable Passport
- Electronic Passport where applicable
Passports bearing two lines of text on the personal information page below the photograph are deemed machine readable.
The text should comprise of letters, numbers and chevrons (<<<).
Authorisation may be revoked by:
- The Member State whose authorities hold the information which is the cause of the annulment/revocation
- ETIAS National Unit of the Member State given as applicant’s state of first entry
Authorisation may be revoked by:
- The Member State: whose authorities possess the information which is the cause of the annulment / revocation
- ETIAS national Unit of the Member State: given as applicant’s state of first entry
Reasons for revoking:
- Where the applicant no longer qualifies for the conditions required for authorisation of entry
- Where the Security database receives an alert for a refusal of entry of a travel document reported as lost or stolen which matches a valid travel authorisation
The authorisation process begins once the debit or credit card payment is complete.